Dry, itchy skin can be such an annoying problem that happens to lot of people and is mostly prevalent in winters, as compared to other seasons. It can be a struggle to get rid of it. Common symptoms of dry skin are itching, scaling and cracking that can appear throughout the body. It can be prevented if proper care is taken to correct dry skin issues.
There are many cosmetic products available in the market that can be used but most of the time, these products may or may not suit our skin. It is important to make sure that your skin in not allergic to any of the products that are available in the market. So before trying any of these products, make sure to check your skin sensitivity. It can otherwise lead to variety of other skin issues.
Why do we suffer from dry, itchy skin?
First of all, let’s find out why we suffer from dry, itchy skin. If you live in fairly cold place, you will notice your skin drying out more as opposed to if you lived in a warmer place.
Low temperatures, low humidity and harsh winds in winters can deplete skin of its natural lipid layer, which keeps the skin from drying out.
Dry air from heating sources like furnaces, fireplaces also suck the moisture out of skin. To keep skin soft and supple, you should make sure that you keep your skin moist all the time.
First step in taking care of dry skin is to stay hydrated and to take proper nutrition. There are many skin care steps that can be followed to keep your skin from drying out.
Here are 7 winter care tips on taking care of dry, itchy and irritating skin.
- Bathing with cooler or lukewarm water helps retain those oils in your body. Make sure to avoid using very hot water, although it sounds very tempting.
- Use oatmeal because it can be great home remedy for this problem. Yup, soaking in oatmeal bath can heal dry irritated skin. Add two to three cups of finely ground, oatmeal to warm water and soak in it for 10 – 15 minutes. Read more at mnn.com
- Use moisturizers and lotions.
- Use oil once you bath. The treatment of this is nothing but returning the moisture of our skin.
- Use a Facial Mask for Dry Skin
- Avoid rinsing your face with tap water, which can contain harsh minerals that are especially drying to the skin
- Invest in a Humidifier, because the moisture in the air is good for skin
With the help of different products for skin you can easily fight with this problem effectively. Make sure to use only such products that won’t irritate you. Sometimes the chemicals used in the commercial products can further enhance your dry skin problem.
Here is an infographic by pyratine, that goes into details of the causes of dry, irritating skin. There are many different reasons why people suffer from dry skin. Those causes can vary from weather conditions, lifestyle or general habits. It is important to figure out which causes affect you in order to take preventative action against dry skin.
Are there any skin care tips that I am missing? Please share in the comment box below!